The What, Why and How of mindful eating
Written by Anna Awada on 10th September 2020
Hey all, and welcome to Beyond the Diet BLOG
— here to help you learn what mindful eating is all about and how it can help you keep your weight down.
But first, why am I talking about eating mindfully anyway?
In the modern world, we eat for convenience rather than for nutrition. We eat for instant gratification rather than long-term health benefits.
Can you imagine learning a new way of slow eating in which you actually get to experience the tastes, smells, flavour and textures of your food rather than wolfing it down in a hurry or snacking on the go?
Here, you will learn all you need to know to slow down and eat mindfully! I can help you to see the food you eat as medicine that not only nourishes your whole system but also tastes delicious!
So what is mindful eating and WHY is it so beneficial?
Mindful eating means taking the time to honour your food by choosing high quality, organic food, preparing it with care and eating it slowly and mindfully using your five senses to really enjoy it.
It means allocating quiet time to prepare and enjoy eating your meal without rushing or multitasking at the same time.
Mindful eating is a way of saying to yourself: “I respect my body enough to be mindful of what I put into it and of the way I eat.”
Think of this type of eating as a meditation. It means choosing to be present with your food and the way you eat it.
My clients find that eating mindfully helps to:
- Sense intuitively when you are full
- Banish overeating
- Gain way more satisfaction from eating
- Develop a healthy relationship with food
- See food as medicine or fuel
- Discover new tastes and textures
- Improve digestion (BYE BYE gas and bloating)
- Regulate bowel movement
- Discover food sensitivities
- Create healthy habits that enliven you
- Have better energy
- Fit into those skinny jeans
How to know it’s time for me to learn to eat mindfully?
Glad you asked! It’s time for you to practice mindful eating if you answer “YES” to any of these below:
- You get bloated after eating
- You shovel down your food like there is no tomorrow
- You eat just to feel full not to enjoy the tastes
- You eat to numb out
- You want to learn to enjoy healthy food
- You feel bloated easily
- You gain weight easily
- You crave sugar or starchy foods
- You have difficulty focusing or foggy brain
- You feel lethargic after eating
- You have allergies or hay fever
- You feel addicted to eating foods that aren’t healthy for you but you can’t stop
- You tend to gain weight easily, especially in your belly
- You have extra pounds that won’t come off with diet and exercise
So, What can you do now?
In my health coaching practice, I help clients discover what triggers them to overeat or binge eat. Then I lead them through a step-by-step process to learn how to eat mindfully and to learn what to eat for their unique body type.
If you answered “YES” to any of the symptoms above, then click here now to schedule a time to talk with me about how you can learn to eat mindfully.
I’ll help you understand what’s blocking you from eating mindfully and I’ll show you how to get started.
To your health!